USS INDIANAPOLIS FLAG PROGRAM
The Legacy Organization proudly honors American flag requests made by families of the final sailing crew of the USS Indianapolis (CA-35).
We work in partnership with the Indiana War Memorial to have keepsake United States flags flown over the USS Indianapolis CA-35 Memorial. Indy crew families participating in this program are presented with their family member’s American flag after it has been flown. Also included is a certificate of authenticity dated and signed by J. Stewart Goodwin, Brig Gen, USAF (Ret) Executive Director, Indiana War Memorials Commission. Funding to offset the cost of the program is generously provided by a family of one of those tragically lost-at-sea in the ship’s sinking on July 30, 1945.
The Legacy Organization began its flag flying program during the July, 2018 Indy reunion. Since it's inception, over 40 flags have been flown for Lost at Sea crew members, Deceased Survivors and upon death of current Survivors.
A request to have a flag flown over the Memorial can be made by clicking below:
Due to the costs and resources necessary for the flag program, it has become necessary to institute a “one flag per crewmember” limit. Thank you for your understanding.
Lost at Sea:
- WILLIAMS, Magellan, STM1 (Honor Watch)
- POKRYFKA, Donald Martin, S2 (Honor Watch)
- SASSMAN, Gordon Wallace, COX (Honor Watch)
- BISHOP, Arthur, Jr., S2 (Honor Watch)
- TRUE, Roger (Bobby) Glenn, S2
- McCORD, Edward Franklin, Jr., EM3 (Hand Delivered)
- HAMBO, William Perrin, PHM3 (Hand Delivered)
- BRUCE, Russell William, S2
- BRUNDIGE, Robert Henry, S1 (Honor Watch)
- CRANE, Granville Shaw, Jr. (Jan 2022)
- CELAYA, Adolfo “Harpo” Uvaldo, F2* (Nov 2021) (Hand Delivered to funeral)
- THELEN, Richard “Dick” Peter, S2 * (Sep 2021) (Hand Delivered to funeral)
From August 2020 to July 2021, nine American flags have been flown for Indy’s final sailing crew in honor of:
The Flag Raising ceremonies were conducted by:
Brigadier General Stewart Goodwin (USAF Ret), Executive Director of the Indiana War Memorials Commission & Honorary Survivor
Michael William Emery, Nephew & Namesake of Lost-at-Sea, William Friend Emery, S1
Michael Hussey & Olivia Hussey, Honorary Survivors
Alden Johnson, LCPL USMC, Purple Heart
Bart & Dianna Colvin, Honorary Survivors